Thursday, August 7, 2014

[WIP] MG Wing Gundam ver. Ka -- muh proportions

Hey, everyone, I've been pretty occupied with my own things as of late so not many updates.  Unfortunately I'm an idiot and have no discipline in taking pictures of my kits as I work on them so this WIP post will be short.

This post is about something I think about a lot whenever I buy or build kits--body proportions.  I'll let the pictures do some of the talking.

reference photo courtesy of Dalong.net

I'm just going to say it:  A lot of people would prob agree the Sinanju is one of the best designs to come out of late-UC Gundam--but I think it just doesn't look right.  The more I think about it the more I feel as if there's something really 'off' about how Katoki proportions his mecha.   I guess it just really bugs me how ridiculously long the legs are compared to the rest of the body--even Korean supermodels don't have that long of legs!  Then again to each one's own . . . Gundam is science-fiction and the universe doesn't have to constrain itself to any rules or guidelines regarding any notion of proper mecha design.  bah, I'm just babbling to myself at this point.

If I ever get to my own Sinanju kit I'm going to try giving it the good 'ol "Obari Workout" and see how that goes.  My preference for more human-like proportions is likely from my growing up watching mecha shows since the 80's.

and now the moment you've been waiting for . . . . a teaser for the kit I'm currently working on (and something I probably won't finish anytime soon because I'm slowpoke):




Can you guess what my inspiration is?  Well, if you read a previous post of mine you would know that I'm taking the MG Wing ver. Ka I received as a gift a long time ago and making a Wing Fenice from Build Fighters!  I have a policy on keeping kits I receive as gifts, but since I already put together its sister kit, the Wing Gundam ver. EW, I didn't feel like just building the same kit again without doing something different.

Anyways my mods here focus on what I've been talking about: body proportions.  A typical human male has a body of about 7.5 his head . . . . here I've used pla-plates to make it more like 8.5 heads proportion (Fashion-tier).

My typing ends about here, I've been pretty tired lately--mostly saving up for a car.  Wouldn't it be great if we could just build our own cars?  Haha, kidding.  Well feel free to comment/send me a message if any questions regarding the mods.

Until next time!