Thursday, June 6, 2013

[WIP] HGUC Zaku I WIP part 2

update: see the finished kit here

after a hectic week I get a few hours to work on my contest entry; here I experience things for the first time:

masking hell--oh yeah, since the joints of the 1/144 Zaku are not separate from the hip assembly I decided to:
paint joints --> mask joints --> seamline treatment hips --> paint hips

it's a pretty tedious process; moreso for assembling the arms properly.  I wouldn't recommend the HGUC Zaku I for people who don't paint; and for those who do paint--have fun! >.>

more after the jump



Pla-Plating
I got some thin styrene sheets from a hobby shop specializing in model trains the other day.  The shapes I cut aren't very neat--but I guess it adds to my naturally messy style.  I followed Major William's guide on pla-plating .  The Zaku I doesn't feature many surface details or panel lines initially.

Oh right, I also added some protrusions on the shoulder pad courtesy of Bandai's System Builder Parts (MS Spike 1/144).  I would make a review but GoodGuyDan beat me to it, check it out--they are a a step in the right direction for easy detailing!


Texturing and Pre-Shading
 Welp it's a weathering contest, for this one I decided NOT to use my dremel tool.  With something this small I probably would run the risk of doing something wrong.  I decided to use this particular technique of using a Sponge and Mr. Surfacer 500 and/1000 to add a bit of texture to the surface of my Zaku.

WARNING: TOXIC FUMES - WEAR A MASK (sponge also a choking hazard)
 
 I went very subtle with it--simply dipping a small section of the Sponge into Mr. Surfacer 500 solution and dabbing it across any parts I want to have a bumpy texture.  The idea is along the lines of wear-and-tear but also for the theme of my Zaku--I'm doing a desert theme and in such hostile environments I imagine paint often reaches boiling temperatures.  Reasonable yes?

Tamiya Desert Yellow is quite yellow

Ok for future reference you can be VERY generous with this technique.  Here I find that after airbrushing you sort of get a smoothing/leveling effect with the layer of paint.  So here the effect is reduced to being almost non-existant.  Next time: be more generous.  I'm hoping the weathering pastels I eventually finish the kit with will be able to highlight those bumpy textures.

appears like rust, might have to repaint
 I used Tamiya XF68 Nato Brown and XF-59 Desert Yellow . . . under typical lighting settings they appear very orange . . . but here I used a 5000k white light and the colors appear fine.  What is not fine is my attempt at pre-shading in which case I am considering a bit of post-shading.

more masking to be done because I will also attempt my first-ever CAMOUFLAGE!   I think a traditional, leafy-like, camo might be too difficult for a newb like me so I'm going to attempt a series of stripes.  Ok, post-shading may be a must here since each layer of paint I add masks whatever I did previously >.<

Patience

With each kit I build, I find that I am trying out new and unfamiliar things; my patience must increase accordingly.  Earlier today I was so excited to play with it a bit I chipped some of the paint (even after topcoat).

Until next time, I will try to have some pictures of finished camo and remember to capture more weathering techniques!  (I also wonder if I have any decals I can use on this kit)